Infectious Disease Risk Analyses and Prevention Department
The Department consists of:
- Infectious Disease surveillance and Immunisation unit;
- Infectious Diseases Prevention and Epidemic Operations unit;
- Latgale regional unit;
- Vidzeme regional unit;
- Kurzeme regional unit;
- Zemgale regional unit.
The Department of Risk Analysis and Prevention of Infectious Disease is responsible for development of proposals based on scientific evidence and best international practice for the development of health and public health policies in the field of epidemiological safety, ensuring epidemiological surveillance, monitoring and epidemic intelligence of infectious diseases, organization of measures to prevent and control the spread of infectious diseases, collection, compilation, processing and analysis of epidemiological surveillance and immunization statistics, international cooperation in the field of epidemiological safety.
Department performs the following tasks:
- Develops proposals for programs for the prevention of infectious diseases;
- Ensures epidemiological surveillance and collects, accumulates and analyses data concerning human morbidity with infectious diseases (registration and enumeration of patients and infected persons); the results of laboratory examination of patients, infected persons and exposed persons; circulation of infectious disease-causing agents in water and other environmental objects, food products, as well as in vectors of infectious disease; the vaccination and immunity of the inhabitants;
- Performs epidemiological investigations, organises the laboratory examination of environmental objects and exposed persons, organise prevention and control measures in case of infectious diseases or outbreaks;
- Informs the relevant controlling authorities regarding breaches of the Epidemiological Safety Law and other laws and regulations governing epidemiological safety if they are exposed upon performing epidemiologic investigation;
- Coordinate implementation of the State Immunisation Policy, provides vaccination monitoring, collection and analysis of statistical data, evaluate the efficiency thereof, plan vaccination of the inhabitants, organise and perform research of the specific immunity of inhabitants, plans vaccination of the population, prepares vaccine orders for medical product wholesalers;
- Informs and consults interested persons, institutions and inhabitants via mass media, distribute special informative materials regarding the prevention and control of infectious diseases, as well as concerning the epidemiological situation in the State, and warn of epidemics in foreign states;
- Establishes and develops a national information and monitoring system for infectious diseases, infectious agents and their resistance and coordinates the operation of this system, manage the State Infectious Diseases and Monitoring System (VISUMS), the State Register of HIV / AIDS cases;
- Ensures compliance with the responsibilities of the World Health Organization and The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control and The European Epidemiological Surveillance System (TESSy) and the Epidemic Intelligence Information System (EPIS) with regard to communicable diseases within the competence of the Department;
- Obtains, compiles, processes and analyses data on infectious diseases, risk factors and related public health problems;
- Provides monitoring of tick density and infectivity;
- Ensures the functioning and coordination of the The Early Warning and Response System (EWRS) in the country regarding to public health threats of infectious diseases;
- Plans, methodically leads, organizes, coordinates and conducts research in the field of epidemiological surveillance and prevention of communicable diseases;
- Participates in the management of emergency situations of public health.